Paragon IT Scholarship Now Accepting Applications
Paragon IT Professionals has granted more than $100,000 in scholarships over the past six years and is now accepting applications for the 2020-2021 school year. This is an opportunity for high school seniors who plan to pursue a technology-related degree within the state of Iowa to receive a $1,000 scholarship. The application period is open now through March 31, 2020.
“We believe in giving back to the communities we serve while fostering opportunities for continuous learning and development within information technology,” said Joel Jackman, co-founder & vice president of Paragon IT Professionals. “There’s a huge tech talent deficit across our country and we need to do what we can to try and keep home grown talent in Iowa.”
This opportunity is made possible through the Paragon IT Leadership Scholarship Foundation 501c3. Through an annual charity golf tournament that brings together some of city’s most influential IT leaders, funds are raised with the purpose of encouraging high school students interested in tech to stay in Iowa for their post-secondary education.
Carson Love, a freshman at Iowa State and a 2019 scholarship recipient, said, “It was nice to feel like my focus in technology paid off to help make a dent in my college tuition.” Love is pursuing a career in cyber security engineering. “I liked the fact that the scholarship was from a local company that is investing in the future of IT in Central Iowa,” said Love’s mother, Stacy.
Paragon’s appreciation for developing talent goes far beyond scholarships. In 2010 the company began the IT Leadership Forum which has brought together more than 300 IT leaders from around the Des Moines Metro. In 2020, Jackman and a newly created advisory board will discuss how to increase the impact of these initiatives and to better connect aspiring tech leaders to local businesses.
To be considered for the scholarship, applicants must meet he following criteria and provide the requested information:
1. The applicant must be an Iowa resident and high school senior graduating in the 2019-2020 school year.
2. A minimum 3.0 high school grade point average (4.0 scale)is required.
3. The applicant must plan to enroll as a full-time student and pursue a technology-related degree at an Iowa college, university or community college.
4. Complete the online application form: http://bit.ly/ParagonITLF2020Scholarship
5. Provide a high school transcript (can be submitted online).
6. Provide two letters of recommendation (can be submitted online by reference).
7. Write an essay (minimum 500 words; instructions provided within online application).